What are the Upwey Archies?
Inspired by the Archibald Prize, the Upwey Archies is an annual community portrait event organised by Upwey Community Group in partnership with Burrinja Cultural Centre. It is a sensational opportunity for aspiring and established artists to create original artwork celebrating a person special to them or the Hills. Entries in the Upwey Archies are displayed publicly in the Upwey Main Street shops for a month, allowing passersby to view and vote for their favourite artworks before the award celebration and prizegiving ceremony.
Upwey Archies Awards and Prizes
Awards and Prizes are awarded in both the Open & Youth (14 years & under) categories.
- Highly Commended
- Heart (Encouragement)
- Packing Room Awards
There is also a ‘Community Favourite’ Award, with members of the community encouraged to vote for their favourite portrait.
The works are judged by an art expert (last year’s winner), and awards are officially announced at a special celebration in the Upwey Village Square.
Prizes for the 9 Categories are a mystery but usually include theatre tickets and meals in Upwey.
How to Enter the 2022 Upwey Archies
Pay the registration fee of $12 ($8 for entrants 14yrs & under).
Once you have collected your canvas board from Burrinja, create a portrait of someone important to you on the canvas provided.
Complete the information on the back of your canvas.
Complete your Artwork Description online by following the link in your confirmation of registration email.
Important Dates for the 2022 Upwey Archies
Register and collect your canvas from Burrinja, Cnr Glenfern Road and Matson Drive, Upwey VIC 3158 between August 10th – 20th.
Return your Archies entry to the Upwey Township Hall (opposite the Upwey skate park) during one of the following times
• 4.30 pm – 6.00 pm October 6th
• 4.30 pm – 6.00 pm October 7th
• 10.30 am – 12.00 noon October 8th
Ensure your portrait is completely dry, as wet or damp artwork will not be accepted.
Artwork will be displayed along the Main Street of Upwey from October 13th to November 10th.
The Presentation Ceremony will be held at 7 pm Friday, November 11th, at the Upwey Township Hall.
Artwork is to be collected from Burrinja between November 16th – 26th. No responsibility will be taken for works not collected by this date.
Conditions of Entering the Upwey Archies
• The portrait must be created on the canvas provided.
• Artworks must be in a 2D form, such as painting, print-making, drawing, collage etc.
• Completed artworks must be returned to the Upwey Township Hall during the return period. Late works will not be included in the Upwey Archies exhibition.
• Ensure the work is dry before returning it; wet or damp artwork will not be accepted.
• The application fee of $12 (or $8 for 14yrs & under) is not refundable.
• The exhibition coordinators and participating traders will take every care in handling the artwork but are in no way responsible for damage, theft or loss.
• Artists agree to the right for Upwey Community Group and Burrinja to reproduce any artwork submitted in any way.
• It is up to the exhibition organisers to decide which wall/window each work will be displayed upon.
• Exhibition organisers reserve the right to not display a work.
• A limit of 10 submissions per group or organisation (including schools).
• Artworks will be judged on artistic merit and community spirit (heart award).